Hallowe’en is just around the corner, and that means the end of the hurricane season is close at hand. For those playing the home game, we are up to Nestor (a Tropical Storm).
For those helping with the Marine Corps Marathon this weekend, or running in it, stay safe.
November 3 is when we fall back an hour to Eastern Standard Time.
I expect t-shirts will be delivered to me on Friday (finally) and I will get them in the mail as soon as I have them sorted and into envelopes. Sorry for the delay.
For those of you who are following along, there are several messages on the ZuckerbergApps about ARESConnect. I have been in contact with the email provided. Those of you who have had trouble signing up in the past should be added to the system now. I have logged my issues with the system, and I have not gotten any good answers back, so in no particular order:
- Can you be a member of more than one ARES team? No answer has been provided on that yet.
- What are the points for? Official Response: POINTS: We are working on POINTS to put together a system of Points for items for Virginia Section, they were working to combine them with the old NTS PSHR (Public Service Honor Roll). So from David’s perspective, it’s nothing more than a scoreboard.
In general, I see no real value to ARESConnect from PWCARES standpoint. I can see where it would help those who do not have well-formed cadres or no web sites, but it is a lot of work to double and triple entry. For now, I will do what they tell me to, but so far, they have not given any firm direction.
November Training (November 16)
I have to go to the AuxComm training during our November Training (November 16), the week before Turkey Trot (which usually happens on the same day as our November Training. I have been asked by several for a digital exercise, so I think that the Cadre should get together and do just that. If you would like to participate, please drop me a note, and I will create an open mailing list for coordination (and then dismantle it after the training). If you feel you need access to the EOC, please let me know so I can make the request.
Sentara Drill (November 21)
Details are TBD. The shell of the exercise is to communication between all Sentara hospitals. From the Wiki page (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sentara_Healthcare), the following are listed as their hospitals:
- Sentara Martha Jefferson Hospital (Charlottesville, VA)
- Sentara Rockingham Memorial Hospital (Harrisonburg, VA)
- Sentara Albemarle Medical Center (Elizabeth City, NC)
- Sentara Careplex Hospital (Hampton, VA)
- Sentara Heart Hospital (Norfolk, VA)
- Sentara Leigh Hospital (Norfolk, VA)
- Sentara Lake Ridge (Lake Ridge, VA)
- Sentara Norfolk General Hospital (Norfolk, VA)
- Sentara Northern Virginia Medical Center (Woodbridge, VA)
- Sentara Obici Hospital (Suffolk, VA)
- Sentara Princess Anne Hospital (Virginia Beach, VA)
- Sentara Virginia Beach General Hospital (Virginia Beach, VA)
- Sentara Williamsburg Regional Medical Center (Williamsburg, VA)
- Sentara Halifax Regional Hospital (South Boston, VA)
We should only be responsible for the two in our jurisdiction, but we may be asked to cover others. More details as I get them, obviously, but this will be a combination of HF, VHF, and likely digital.
Turkey Trot (November 23)
Turkey Trot this year is November 23. We have enough people. I have created the first cut of the action plan (https://www.pwcares.org/html/event/turkeytrot.html).
Honor 8K (December 7)
The last event of the MCM calendar for 2019 is the Honor 8K held on the golf course at MCB Quantico. Sign up is here: http://xactllc.volunteerlocal.com/volunteer/?id=42649. This one is usually a couple of hours, and it can be cold at race time.
If there are any questions or comments, please send them my way! See you at the Turkey Trot!